Thursday 18 August 2016

Nablus

Today I took a bit of a day off to visit Nablus, a city in the northern West Bank. It is about 49 kilometres north of Jerusalem, and with a population of approximately 126,00 people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nablus

I wandered around in the old city, and had a fun time taking photos and getting lost. I even had more fun sampling kanafeh, which is fried cheese that is topped with loads of syrup. Nablus is famous for its kanafeh, and I was advised by both my Palestinian and international friends to go and check it out.

I am very glad I took their advice.

Waiting for the bus to Nablus to leave from Ramallah.

Entering the Old City.

Fish for sale.


Walking down the streets (1).

Walking down the streets (2).

Walking down the streets (3).

Walking down the streets (4).

People posing for pictures (1).

People posing for pictures (2).

People posing for pictures (3). The photo on the wall behind them is of Bilal Khayed, a Palestinian prisoner who is on hunger strike after being given six months of "administrative detention" (prolonged imprisonment) after serving a 14.5 year sentence for armed actions during the Second Intifada. 

Palestinian man serving kanafeh to a large crowd.

The restaurant was very crowded and there was no table, so I had to eat it this way. It was very good, and now I can say I had Nablus kanafeh, It's legendary tastiness has been confirmed for me to be true...



No comments:

Post a Comment